Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tip of the week

I have eczema, which is a skin condition that causes the skin to become rough, inflamed and itchy.  In the past when I had a flare I would use a topical (on the skin) steroid cream.  It always worked really well and the flare would be cleared up in a few days.  However, since I had the baby and am breastfeeding, I didn't want to use the steroid cream.  So in my search for a drug free treatment I saw things like bleach baths (not happening), take cool showers and don't shower daily (so not happening), etc.  I decided to try my own thing!  So I switched to a heavier cream--Cetaphil for all over and Vaseline with cocoa and shea butter for the trouble spots.  I moisturize in the morning and then again before bed.  You can also use Aquaphor in place of the Vaseline, but Aquaphor costs more and I got the same results with Vaseline.  Also, I switched from my yummy-smelling bath wash to Aveeno Moisturizing bar. 

Moisturizing Cream    













Aveeno Moisturizing Bar for Dry Skin - 3.5 oz













Within 2 days, I saw a huge difference.  My flare has been stopped sans steroids and I am a happy girl!  All of the products listed can be purchased over the counter at your local drug store.


No comments:

Post a Comment