Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Baby Weight Loss



During my first pregnancy I gained 50 lbs.  I was nervous this go round that losing weight would prove to be very difficult since I am 10 years older and haven't worked out in quite a while!  I tried to watch what I was eating during the pregnancy and walk as much as possible.  I still ended up gaining 45 lbs. by delivery day.  I didn't really think about it after delivery because you aren't supposed to diet while breastfeeding.  I decided I would just go shopping for some larger sizes and roll with it until I finished nursing.  To my surprise the weight just started rolling off.  Technically, you are supposed to eat 500 more calories then normal per day while breastfeeding.  I am not good about counting calories, so I just eat and drink when I am hungry.  I try to eat whole foods and drink water so that my caloric intake is worthwhile.  That's not to say that I never indulge, because I have definitely inherited my grandfather's sweet tooth and I truly believe in everything in moderation.

So far, I am proud to say I have lost 50 lbs.  Yay!!!  Over 3 years prior to getting pregnant I had slowly gained 15 lbs., so I have been able to put a  5 lb. dent in that also.  I am super excited. 





A regular day's meal plan for me includes:
Breakfast- oatmeal with raisins or 2 eggs ( and yes, I eat the yolks,) toast (sprouted whole grain bread,) and fruit
Lunch- turkey wrap or soup, or pasta with marinara sauce and fruit
Dinner-chicken or fish-usually grilled, sauteed/roasted veggies or salad and baked yams/roasted potatoes or jasmine rice
Snacks-0 % Fage Greek yogurt, cheese and Ak-mak crackers or cottage cheese and fruit, and sweet potatoes

Breastfeeding burns 500 calories per day according to WebMD, so when I finish nursing, I am going to have to have a workout routine in place to maintain the loss.  I have decided to do a mud run this summer ( which we'll discuss later), and signing up for a race has made me start working out in the past, so we'll see what happens.  For now, I'm just going to enjoy my current triumph!

2 comments: